Friday, January 9, 2015

Baby It' COLD outside!!! (Sub-zero Style)

Happy New Year!

I hope you had a great holiday. Mine was jam-packed with family, lots of food and good times with friends. Sorry I didn't get around to posting, but with a newborn and the rush of the holidays I just couldn't find the time. However, new year, new leaf - I am now committing to much more regular posts that I hope you'll enjoy :)

I woke up this morning and the forecast was for a "balmy" high of -19° C with the "windchill factor" making it feel more like -30°C. For those of you who live in slighting warmer climates, the windchill factor temperature is how cold it actually feels due to high winds. I don't know why they report two temperatures - but they do - it's very Canadian. And very cold!

So I though it might be fun to do a post on what I put on to brave the elements that maintains both form and function - and of course - my personal style. To me, fall and winter fashion is really about outwear and accessories. Especially if you are just running around completing errands, or shopping as opposed to going to an event. Chances are, you will never remove your coat and so your OOTD look is really about your coat, boots and accessories. As a result, I've found that if you invest in a good coat and pair of boots (for us cold region dwellers, good means it is both WARM and stylish) and a nice handbag to lug your stuff around, you will always look chic and pulled together, and with very little effort. Top it off with some great cold weather accessories, including sunglasses, scarf, gloves, hat - and you're good to go.

Here are a few of my recent looks:


 





Navy overcoat - Zara
Shirt - Target
   Tall boots - Michael Kors
Parka - Canada Goose
Black & White scarf - Zara
Leggings - Forever 21
Short boots - Ugg
Diaper bag - Marc Jacobs
Sunglasses - Fossil
Gold scarf - H & M

For Coats/Jackets, I believe there are two must-haves:

1. Parka
2. Wool blend coat

A good hooded parka will keep you warm and toasty and there are many brands that come in a more fitted style so that you can avoid looking too bulky and feeling frumpy. There are a lot of great options at price points to accommodate all budgets.

Here are a few of my favorite parka splurges and steals:




4. Roots 5. Zara 6. Aritzia

The wool coat is great for fall and warmer winter days or for when you want to go for something slightly less casual than the parka look. I tend to be drawn to options with shiny metallic detailing in the zippers or buttons or a combination of wool with leather trim. I use a drugstore razor to remove pilling and always dry clean to increase the longevity of my coats and keep them looking fresh and new.

Here are a few options:
Clockwise from top left: DVF, Mango (sold out), Mango (sold out), Massimo Dutti, Forever 21, Zara

Its a great time of year to invest in outerwear for next winter as most places are having their end of season sales - I personally am considering picking up either the Massimo Dutti Italian wool coat above or the Zara zip coat (now $99 discounted from $199!) for myself :)

I don't believe you have to sacrifice style for comfort when it comes to dressing in sub-zero temperatures. A great pair of boots and a statement handbag will tie it all together and keep you looking effortlessly chic. Don't forget a cool pair of shades to keep the snow-glare out of your eyes, and a cozy scarf and gloves to shield you from the wind and add some personality to your performance gear.

What are your favorite ways to stay warm and looking great when the mercury drops?




No comments :

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts! Thanks for sharing!!!