Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Emma's Sweet Pink and Grey Nursery

I am so happy to finally be sharing pictures of Emma's nursery! This project was so much fun to do. When Grace was born, we were living in a small 1 + 1 condo in the city and her "nursery" was actually the den! That being said I still managed to put together a sweet little space for her in the 8 x 6 foot room and if I can find where I stored those photos, I will definitely post them.

Now that we are in a house, I had a lot more creative freedom given the additional space we have to work with. My mommy style, doesn't tend to stray very far away from my personal style - I like classic, clean, sophisticated looks, with a touch of trend. Graces nursery was cream and pink and I had made her crib bedding from a beautiful toile fabric I purchased in the garment district. This time around, I chose to go with grey and a soft blush pink as my theme colors, and I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out:

I really scoured the web and sites like Pinterest and Project Nursery for ideas and inspiration. One of my favorite things in the room is her framed "E" monogram. The silver E is made of wood, and I found it at Chapters-Indigo for just $15! I felt like it needed something to accentuate it and so I removed the glass from a black Ikea mirror and spray painted the frame with a high-gloss white paint to create the look below:

Crib - Babyrama (Ajax)
Bedding - Carousel Designs
Frame - Ikea

I had come across a lot of nursery designs that had opted for "pom poms" in lieu of a crib mobile - an idea that I really liked. So I was thrilled when I found these silver and white pompoms at Michael's with a damask print that was a nice complement to the crib bedding. I dressed up a standard Ikea dresser by switching out the knobs with these pretty glass ones from Zara Home, and added a changing pad and mirror to give it double duty as a change table:

Mirror - Homesense
Lamp - Homeoutfitters
Piggybank - Winners
Dresser - Ikea


Curtain Rod (Umbra) - Homesense
Curtains - Homesense

Now although we are now in a house, and this is an actual bedroom as opposed to a "den". this room is still on the smaller side. I had initially hoped to add a glider (something we had absolutely NO space for in Grace's nursery), but when I went to try a few out, I found that the gliding motion actually made me nauseous!! Fortunately Ikea makes a really comfortable sitting chair that looks very similar to the Pottery Barn glider I was coveting but is much more small space (and budget) friendly. I relocated this pretty, nail head trimmed ottoman that we had in our living room to create a perfect space for nursing, and reading and cuddling with baby Emma. The pillow is a leftover from Grace's nursery covered in that toile fabric I mentioned earlier. The plastic butterflies were from a home-made "diaper cake" given to us by a friend. I think they add just the right amount of whimsy:

"The Sweet Life" wall hanger - Pottery Barn Kids
Chair - Ikea
Pillow - DIY
Diaper Bag - Marc Jacobs
Ottoman - Homesense
Rug - Walmart (2 sewn together)

Finally, I found the perfect grey linen hamper that I prettied up by sewing on this off-white bow that I got from the ribbon used to package a stroller blanket that I had purchased:


I am so delighted with how it all turned out. I think it looks pretty and sweet and it is a space that I think we will both love to be in. The bedding was a bit of a splurge, but I saved in so many other areas and with a bit of creativity still managed to pull of a custom designed look.


I'd love to hear what you think of Emma's space as well as your own ideas for creating a serene nursery for your little one.







No comments :

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts! Thanks for sharing!!!